Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Challenges of Bed Rest

I'm back in bed, literally. I am supposed to be up and working since last Thursday(March 10, 2011) unfortunately after the first day of work, I had another episode of spotting. I panicked more than the first since this time I can really see the blood. We visited my OB first thing the next day, and lo and behold it was declared of another threatened abortion and needs a rest of 2 weeks.

I am a person who is usually active and on-the-go so a 2-week bed rest is really a drastic change in my lifestyle. I read a few articles on bed rest but to sum it up, here are a few challenges that I am and about to face:
  • emotional - a feeling of isolation, mood change, guilt, anxiety and depression. From the different pregnancy articles these are just normal when on this condition
  • physical - a feeling of being weak due to long stay in bed. At times I can't even stand properly or walk due to some muscle and joint pains this is what I get when going to the bathroom is the only physical activity I have
  • mental - due to lack of physical activity, most of the times I feel dizzy and unable to concentrate on my take home work
So how do we deal with these challenges, here are some advices from the different sites but on some you may just have discovered:
  • Make yourself productive by planning your day ahead. If you can take a bath early and do the small things you've been wanting to do early on you will feel a sense of accomplishment immediately and can take more rest in the afternoon
  • Talk to close friends or your partner, it helps to communicate what you feel. Most of the time hearing their advices and own experiences makes you feel better. This helped me a lot!
  • At night time, let go and pray. Even if you're just starting your bed rest or on mid-way, whatever happens to that day, let go and be thankful that you are still in a healthy and safe condition. This will help you get a good night rest.
  • Blog! It helps to write and pour in your creative juices on to whatever topic you want to say.
I am no expert on this, I just write what I have and still experiencing. I am just on Day 4 and I have a long way to go. To keep my schedule full, I prepared my overdue list of to-do's to which I hope to accomplish in 10 days:
  1. Complete the Thank You notes, there are at least 80% I haven't sent the card yet.
  2. Complete Bridal Book questionnaire.
  3. Upload engagement and wedding photos at Photobucket.
  4. Complete Sorren's questionnaire
  5. Clean up my laptop: emails and files
  6. Update my Jesmike & Emy wedding blog, I've been wanting to add what transpired on the day and the thank you message to my suppliers.
  7. Select 200 wedding photos for the album
It will be a busy week ahead, indeed but if boredom kicks in, watch this heartwarming video from John Mateos Ong's facebook page. You will feel that you can't wait for your turn to be there, to see your own blessing and bundle of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment